I am Natural… I am Unique!
The challenge turned out beautifully! I loved reading the judges feedback as well.
We did a company vote and here is our feedback.
1) Desyray-i am Free-Desyray really spoke from a place of true freedom. Her hairstyle was beautiful and the emotion captured in her photo shoot portrayed the fact that she felt free. Not only did she talk about being free, but she captured the essence of freedom in the expression on her face.
2) Carlie-i am Natural-We really appreciated the thought that went into Carlie’s shots. The way she approached this challenge and thought about everything from the use of color, positioning on the ground, wardrobe, background etc was outstanding and reflected in the shots that she was able to obtain. Her makeup application was flawless and really drew out her eyes. She also very thoroughly followed directions and gave the details on how to achieve her look. Her attention to detail is commendable.
3) Nefertiti-i am Natural, i am Strong, i am Fierce, i am Free, i am Unique-What we loved about Nefertiti’s shoot was the fact that she stepped outside of the expected and chose to do a non-traditional representation. We loved the workout attire and it truly portrayed her physical strength. What we would have liked to see more of is variance in the types of shots taken-poses, background etc. The last 3-4 poses were very similar to each other.
4) Chassity-i am Fierce-We loved the confidence that exuded from Chastitiy’s photos. She looked as though she were truly having fun during her photo shoot and we love that! We would have liked to see a stronger correlation between the word Fierce and the color/backgrounds used. The shots were a bit neutral in color scheme and while Chastitiy looked Fierce, we didn’t feel that throughout the images.
5) ReShonda-i am Natural-Reshonda had a nice approach to representing the muse Natural. We loved that she varied her shots, some on a bike (loved!), some in a field, in front of the phone booth-they all seemed real-life and easy, carefree. The afro puff was adorable and a nice change from the more commonly seen natural styles.
6) Kala-i am Unique-We liked the way that Kala created so many different looks within her shoot. Through the use of clothing and poses she was able to capture many unique looks. We felt that her hair should have been highlighted a bit more as this is a hair product challenge. We would have like to see more of it. She has a very natural way of posing that looks like she’s not “trying too hard.”
7) Jalitia-i am Fierce-It sounds as though Jalitia did have some struggles which made her photo shoot more difficult for her. Life will throw you curve balls and how well you fare depends on how well you can roll with things and be flexible. While she did manage to pull together her images, (we especially liked the second photo where she is turned to the side with her arms across her head as it sends off a really relaxed, natural vibe), we ended up feeling as though she didn’t quite capture the quality shots that we were looking for. Because of this, Jalitia is who we would select as not continuing on.
Chassity was a very deserving winner.
Desyray: You embodied “free” really well and from that aspect your pictures were nice, but if i didn’t know this was to promote a haircare product, i would not have figured out that this was about hair…. Try to always bring it back to what it is you are trying to sell…
WOW…..Is all I have to say! You ladies really kicked it up this week, as I was truly impressed with everyone of you. It’s really going to be hard to pick a winner and someone to go home because the photos, the stories, and the hair were all awesome.
Unique: Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else. One of my favorite quotes is: “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken”-Oscar Wilde. I embrace my unique qualities and take pride in them. Natural hair is unique. It’s different. It’s beautiful. For this challenge I used the Kynx Hair Care products to keep my braid out moisturized and looking fresh!
When given this challenge it was easy to pick the word that described me the best. I see myself as unique because I can’t imagine myself as an anyone else. In fact, I reject that concept all together. We are all unique in our own right. But some of us along the way seem to fall in line with the in-crowd, trying to talk, dress and embody each other.
For Challenge 5, I had the pleasure of trying out products from the Hair Care line Kynx! What I love about this company’s products are that they contain natural ingredients and are specially formulated to care for Natural textures so that we can truly ROCK our hair in any form!
The products also contain Monoi de Tahiti oil which is proven to help soften, moisturize, strengthen, give great shine to and reconstruct dry hair. I used them to create a big, fluffy side puff that was amazingly soft and full of bounce! Each product has a “personality” and my job this challenge was to choose one of the muses to portray!
The Kynx line of hair products created especially for our natural tresses is a true representation of what we are collectively and individually, naturally beautiful. I was immediately taken aback by the wonderful aroma that the product line encompasses. So the challenge at hand was a pleasurable experience of spa like treatment for my crowning glory that lead me to a powerful realm of confidence, security and allowed my true inner lioness to scream out …….
It was easy to pick my ‘muse’ for this challenge as ‘natural’ fits me to a T. I strive for naturality not only in my hair, but also in my diet, and my beauty products. I grew up in Haiti where natural food was the norm. Daily, we would purchase fresh food from the market ‘ti mache’. Everything was fresh and picked or killed that day from the bananas to the goat meat.