Creating the perfect updo can be quite a challenge. It’s important to create one that fits you,is durable, and adjustable. Furthermore, it should be perfectly placed, so that your hair and face are shown at their best! An updo says it all, and if the perfect style for most any occasion.
To create my ever so twisted updo style, I did the following:
Tools: Rat-tail comb for parting. 2 mirrors, so that you may see as you twist the back of your hair, duck bill clips, protected bobby pins, gel, moisturizer, oil and twisting agent (the Going-Natural Silky Shea Hair Butter works great for this)! I then:
1. Washed and conditioned my hair thoroughly.
2. Allowed to air dry.
3. As my hair dried I used the stretching method by placing rubber bands throughout the length of my hair to stretch it out as it dried.
4. Once drying is complete, ensure hair is properly moisturized.
5. Place a small amount of oil throughout your hair and scalp to help with shine and sealing in moisture.
6. Part your hair in 2 sections (1 in back and one at the top).
7. Part out small section of the hair for twisting (In the back I suggest parting the hair in a slanted direction so that your twists fall flat and lead up to a bun on the slanted to the side.
8. Flat twist up-ward using a uniform clockwise or counter-clockwise direction (Add hair butter as you twist).
9. Continue this motion throughout the back section of your hair until all hair is flat twisted.
10. Move to front section and begin flat twisting hair upward in a slight slant. Make sure that you leave a section of hair untwisted. This part should be in the middle or where the bun will be placed.
11. After hair on back, top and sides has been flat twisted, twist your free hair in singles so that it may serve as a “filler” for your bun.
12. Begin to create your bun, shaping and molding the twists how you would like them positioned.
13. Secure hair with your bobby pins and..
14. Voila! You are super twisted and ready to step out with any immaculate style for ANY occasion!
My ever so twisted updo style is not just ANY updo. It is jazzy, graceful classy, sophisticated, fun, professional and yet relatable. These qualities are all embodied by Ms. Nappturality herself and therefore this style would help to accentuate her beauty to the 100th degree!
This style is twisted upward building the hair to a look resembling a queen’s crown. Ms. Nappturality IS royalty, inspiring all to be natural, free and treat themselves majestically! Furthermore, the style helps to exude confidence, allowing Ms. Nappturality to freely show her beautiful bone structure, lovely features and natural beauty the more. With her luscious locks traveling fluently up to the top, this represents the stride of Ms. Nappturality herself! She has endured a natural transition, a time of being completely natural, and has learned to properly care for her lovely mane from bottom to top while inspiring others along her journey! The twists eloquently appear in many shapes and sizes, making this style that much more unique much like Ms. Nappturality. She has overcome MANY difficulties along her journey, some big and some small, however, her triumphs have been bigger than them all. She can wear this style to any job, function, day in or even a day out, church, time with a special someone or a night out on the town.
This style is perfect for the representation of Ms. Nappturality, she is amazing, persevering, long-suffering, intricate, enduring, strong, and built with an amount of grace making it impossible not to notice her!
America’s Next Natural Model has truly come to terms with who she is and who she has become on the inside and outside. She is much more than just natural hair, a beautiful face, or a great picture. Her hair has however peaked her interest in other ways she may improve herself. She is quite fashionable, however, her uniqueness keeps her in line and true to herself. She appreciates all that she has been given and looks forward to ways that she may help in any way that she can. She is a pleasure to be around, has impeccable strength, charm and whit, is easy to speak to, seek advice from and fellowship with. Men, women and children look up to her, and look to her to receive advice for the best aids for being and remaining natural. She is not ashamed that she is not perfect, or that she is not always the best, but she does however strive to be her best daily!
All in all, ANNM is AMAZING! She is who many strive to be! With all of her honorable characteristics, future goals and beauty, she WILL go down in history!
Special thanks to you all for your love and support throughout this competition! Blessings!
Going Natural Hair Care for Black Women, African American Men and Children