As the elected New York City Council Member for the 36th District, Robert E. Cornegy Jr. is representing the vibrant communities of Bedford Stuyvesant and Crown Heights. Besides his height his long dreadlocks are also remarkable and he doesn’t shy away from a conversation on Natural Hair.
Here is part one of the questions we asked Mr. Cornegy
1. Who is Robert E. Cornegy? Can you please introduce yourself for the people who are not familiar with you or your work?
2. How important is your hair as a man? Have you ever had a relaxer, curly or cornrows and why do you choose to wear your hair in dreadlocks now?
3. What does your hair mean to you? Is it just an accessory that compliments your personality and style or is it deeper than that?
4. Were you ever ashamed of your hair or believed that guys with a curly or weavy texture had a better chance with women?
5. How important is a woman’s hair to you? Does it matter whether she wears a weave, relaxes her hair or is a natural head? Do you have a preference for either of these styles?
6. One of the main reasons Black women hesitate to go natural is because they profoundly believe that Black men don’t like natural hair. What do you think? Can you please elaborate, if you don’t agree where or how do you think women got this idea? If you agree why do you think Black men don’t like natural hair?
Please “Like and Share” or leave a comment to let us know what you think and help make this documentary a success.
We also welcome submissions. So if you want to be included in our series here is how to submit your video.
Council Member Robert Cornegy host a new show B-CIVIL with Robert Cornegy, Jr. at 6pm on BRIC on BRIC the following networks: Channel 756 on Time Channel 46 on Verizon FIOS. You can also watch the stream online at BKindiemedia.bricartsmedia.org/watch-live/.