The online pageant that offers incredible opportunities for aspiring talented models who choose to wear their hair natural is now open for submissions. Become the new face of one of our sponsors, get a spread in Sophisticated Black Hair magazine and get endorsements.
Munya I look at your photos and you remind me of a breath of fresh hair. You seem to exude a calm inner peace. My only qualm, is that I would have liked to see more head shots. This would’ve allowed the focus to be more on your head wrap and hair.
Raven You managed to showcase the feather headdress in a formal and casual look. This is very helpful to consumers! This week, and last I enjoy your pictures because you provide versatility, while bringing your personality to every shot.
Headwraps are not only a fun and festive hair accessory, they are indeed a tie to our rich ancestry from the motherland! This challenge allowed the ladies to showcase some beautiful headwraps as well as share their thoughts on the cultural connection these headwraps represent. For this challenge, I was looking not only for polished pictures of diverse headwraps, but I was also looking for some photos that showed instruction (how do I create this style). While my top two three were Carlie, Nefertiti, and Kala, my choice is CARLIE!
Karen Chambers is the Creative Director of IMAN Cosmetics, where she oversees communications, product development and creative services for the internationally recognized cosmetics and skincare line. Ms. Chambers is an alumna of Rutgers University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication. She is also a member of CEW (Cosmetics Executive Women) and was named one of the beauty industry’s leading women by Upscale Magazine. Her product launches have earned IMAN Cosmetics a coveted OPRAH Magazine “O” Award and an ESSENCE Magazine Award for Product of the Year.
The challenge turned out beautifully! I loved reading the judges feedback as well.
We did a company vote and here is our feedback.
1) Desyray-i am Free-Desyray really spoke from a place of true freedom. Her hairstyle was beautiful and the emotion captured in her photo shoot portrayed the fact that she felt free. Not only did she talk about being free, but she captured the essence of freedom in the expression on her face.
2) Carlie-i am Natural-We really appreciated the thought that went into Carlie’s shots. The way she approached this challenge and thought about everything from the use of color, positioning on the ground, wardrobe, background etc was outstanding and reflected in the shots that she was able to obtain. Her makeup application was flawless and really drew out her eyes. She also very thoroughly followed directions and gave the details on how to achieve her look. Her attention to detail is commendable.
3) Nefertiti-i am Natural, i am Strong, i am Fierce, i am Free, i am Unique-What we loved about Nefertiti’s shoot was the fact that she stepped outside of the expected and chose to do a non-traditional representation. We loved the workout attire and it truly portrayed her physical strength. What we would have liked to see more of is variance in the types of shots taken-poses, background etc. The last 3-4 poses were very similar to each other.
4) Chassity-i am Fierce-We loved the confidence that exuded from Chastitiy’s photos. She looked as though she were truly having fun during her photo shoot and we love that! We would have liked to see a stronger correlation between the word Fierce and the color/backgrounds used. The shots were a bit neutral in color scheme and while Chastitiy looked Fierce, we didn’t feel that throughout the images.
5) ReShonda-i am Natural-Reshonda had a nice approach to representing the muse Natural. We loved that she varied her shots, some on a bike (loved!), some in a field, in front of the phone booth-they all seemed real-life and easy, carefree. The afro puff was adorable and a nice change from the more commonly seen natural styles.
6) Kala-i am Unique-We liked the way that Kala created so many different looks within her shoot. Through the use of clothing and poses she was able to capture many unique looks. We felt that her hair should have been highlighted a bit more as this is a hair product challenge. We would have like to see more of it. She has a very natural way of posing that looks like she’s not “trying too hard.”
7) Jalitia-i am Fierce-It sounds as though Jalitia did have some struggles which made her photo shoot more difficult for her. Life will throw you curve balls and how well you fare depends on how well you can roll with things and be flexible. While she did manage to pull together her images, (we especially liked the second photo where she is turned to the side with her arms across her head as it sends off a really relaxed, natural vibe), we ended up feeling as though she didn’t quite capture the quality shots that we were looking for. Because of this, Jalitia is who we would select as not continuing on.
Chassity was a very deserving winner.
ReShonda– The green hat goes beautifully with your skin tone. Your hair is gorgeous! In regards to the photos with the hat, those images are substandard compared to the beads/shells necklace. I can see you TRIED to sell the hat but the lack of enthusiasm is clear in those photos especially the 1st and 4th photos and I’m distracted by the wrinkled outfit in photo #3. The necklace on the other hand, Yes I want it! I immediately thought of a scene Diana Ross did in Mahogany 😀 Like you said, it’s gorgeous.
The use of the Jamaican Mango Lime line is not only wonderful because of all of its great ingredients and help with producing flawless styles, it also promotes the growth of healthier hair, more specifically for both trasitioners and naturals the same.